You are a prospect hockey player and you will like to pursue the College route. This diagram below helps you to understand the major hockey steps that a player may have to go though over time to access Pro Hockey (NHL as an example). More and more players graduated from Colleges will play Pro Hockey in the future:
They are some benefits to choose the College route:
- Intensive off-ice training to offer the development of athletic abilities.
- On-ice training to improve and to develop the technical and tactical aspects of hockey playing (less weekly games).
- Good and/ or “high-level” of game competition (you have to choose the best Prep school, for example).
- Best route to obtain an education. Education is a priority and it is not compromised.
- Normal development for an player who wants to enjoy a “social-cultural-educational” life.
- Scholarships pays for a great education.
- Players are not drafted for Colleges.
- The presence of more educators needed to develop a student-athlete.
- Others (community involvement; time to play other elite sports like soccer; etc.).
- You are not traded during your College hockey stage.